Monday, August 24, 2009

No use crying over dryed milk.

I've had to make a hard decision today. Last week, Avery got thrush. The doctor told me that more than likely, since I was nursing, it would spread to my "hooty-hoots". Well it did. They became so throbbing sore, much like they were when Avery was first born, that I couldn't bear to nurse her. My toes would curl in and I would curse every time I nursed her. They were so bad. But for some reason, Avery wouldn't nurse anymore either. She turned away every time, resulting in a breast infection. This being the 5th one since she was born. Maybe because her teeth are coming in, maybe because she just wasn't interested anymore, I don't know. I thought about pumping, but it was just as painful. I finally just made the decision to be done. My heart breaks just a little. All you mothers out there who have nursed babies, know what a sweet, wonderful connection it is for you and your child. I have thoroughly enjoyed it, and was blessed that both my kids wanted it as well. Now I sit here, my "ta ta's" in engorging pain, waiting for them to dry up, wondering how long it's going to take this time. With Trey it took about a week. I don't know if I will live that long.

7 comments:

Blake and Jessica said...

Cabbage leaves, boiled, put in fridge or freezer. Milk gone in 2 days. Seriously, try it. It is a hard thing to stop, you wouldn't think there would be such an emotional connection with them. Props to you for making it this far!

The Wilson Family said...

I would have to pump just until the pain was bearable and did that until I didn't need to anymore it only took me a couple of days that way. I would still express milk if I tried but there was no pain. TMI... who cares right, if your boobs hurt that bad whats a little gross conversation right? I had a hard time stopping with Ever but I needed my body back she still wanted to but I was having emotional breakdowns everytime I had to nurse. I needed my boobies to myself!!

Emilee Pierce said...

Wow, let me tell you how excited I am at this moment to be pregnant and possibly be nursing in the near future. NOT! :0) I guess better to know the possibilties than to be left in the dark. Em Pierce

Amy said...

That's horrible! I have heard fresh cabbage leaves will dry it up in no time! I know lots who have done it. Good luck!

Kenta Harada said...

Why is it so emotional to quit nursing? Every time I quit nursing my babies I cry and get very sad.
Kai stopped nursing at 6 momths old and he just started turning his head away from me, I think he just started to prefer the bottle. But I was so sad and after a week of still trying and him not wanting to (I was pumping for a week straight) I just decided to give it up. Its hard I know, but after a few weeks I was feeling like a free women! I hope you are feeling better! I know the pain from thrush. My son Eli and I got that when he was a baby.
Good luck!!

Kenta Harada said...

This is kim by the way.... i just posted that comment and apparantly I am signed in under my husbands name =)

Corrine said...

i guess I am little late, but I am so sorry that is so hard and painful...I cried when I stopped nursing Gregory...and yeah hope you tried the cabbage leaves..