Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A Work in Progress

Our basement has been nothing but a HUGE pain in our butts! We knew when we bought it, all the hard work we would have to do. When me and Jeremy found our house, we pictured ourselves living in it, fixing it up, making it our own. For some reason, all the people that have looked at our house keep coming back with the same stupid reasons why it's not going to work..."we love it,but we need the extra room downstairs" "we love it, but it's still too much work for us to finish" "we love it, but it's just not in our budget or schedule to finish it"....AAAH! Oh, and what makes me MORE mad is the fact that it's in the contract that the basement will be 100% finished when they move in, so really, what are they crying about. Why can't someone just come and get the big picture in their minds like we did. I guess they can't until it's all the way done! Over the past 5 years (yes, it has taken us THAT long) we really didn't stress the idea of having it finished, only because we didn't need all that space right away. (And plus, in case you didn't know, money DOES NOT grow on trees) Then after my kids were born I thought how nice it would be to have it done and to have more room for the kids to play, and I guess since our house is on the market, it has to be done. So right now we are racing to get it finished in the limited time we have. Jeremy's work schedule doesn't really allow him to just be able to come home after work, like most people do at 5, and work on it into the evening. He doesn't even get off work until 7 and yes, he does come home in the middle of the day from 12-2:30, but that doesn't give him very much time....soooooo, we really only have Saturdays to work on it. The sheet rockers finally finished Friday, and on Saturday thanks to family, (uncle Shayne), we were able to get in painted. It's amazing the huge difference a little paint will do. These are some of the pics I took right after we painted....I know it's a mess, don't be scared:)

The view from the family room to the hallway.


The bedroom


The bathroom...that's a tub in the back, it's covered.


The laundry room coming downstairs, sorry the pic is horrible.


And the family room. Seriously, who wouldn't love this! That is a cute little fireplace in the corner. I must be the only person still alive that loves all the cute authenticity of old houses, like, the cute skeleton key door handles, and arch ways,....whatever, they don't deserve it if they can't appreciate it!

6 comments:

Marie Rose said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Wilson Family said...

HAHA they don't deserve. I totally agree with you, I think we are of one mind. People only get what they see right then not the potential. They just don't have husbands like we do and creative geniuses for minds like us!

Kristina said...

That doesn't even look like the same basement. I use to be so dark, and who knew it could look like that. I love it, and the fireplace.
People are obviously to stupid to see beyond what there is. I thought buying and fixing up is the thing to do.
At least from the sounds of it I think once it's done it will sell fast, so watch out. If you need somewhere to go for a few weeks, you can come here, it's just me and the boys.
Can't wait to see it all done.

Harada's said...

Finishing basements is so much work! Kenta helped my dad finish their basement and took a lot of time! We were lucky enough to find a house we love here with a finished basement, so we didn't have to do all that work! =)..
Anyway your basment looks really good and I can't wait to see how cute it is when its all done! Hopefully this will help your house sell fast!

Kevin, Amanda & Braxton said...

It looks like you guys are doing a good job! I am not looking forward to trying to sell our house! Good luck!

Blake and Jessica said...

I'm so sorry you're having to go through all this crap. I think the fireplace and old houses are cute =). I hope you get a buyer soon and don't have to stress about it too much!